Baked Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Sweet Potato Casserole Ingredients
1 ¼ pounds (about 3 medium size) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
¼ cup milk, low fat
1 large egg, whole
½ tablespoon honey
½ teaspoons orange zest, freshly grated
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
½ tablespoon canola oil
¼ cup whole wheat flour
1/8 cup brown sugar, packed
½ teaspoons orange juice concentrate, frozen
½ tablespoon melted butter
½ tablespoon canola oil
¼ cup chopped pecans
- Place the sweet potatoes in a medium size saucepan. Pour enough water in the pan to completely cover the sweet potatoes. Bring the water to a boil on high heat. Lower the heat and cover the pan. Cook the sweet potatoes in simmering water over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the water and return the cooked sweet potatoes to the pan. Mash the potatoes with the help of a hand masher in the pan itself. Measure about 1 ½ cups of mashed sweet potatoes. Don’t discard the remaining, if any. You may reserve it for some other use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. Lightly coat a square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk the oil, egg and honey. Add the 1 ½ cup mashed sweet potatoes and mix well. Add the freshly grated orange zest, milk, vanilla essence and salt. Mix gently. Spread this potato mixture in the prepared baking dish.
In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar, whole wheat flour, orange juice concentrate, butter and oil. Completely bled the mixture with your fingers or a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Add the pecans and sprinkle this mixture over the casserole. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake until the casserole is heated through and the top layer turns light brown in color. This should take approximately 30 minutes. Serve warm. This recipe makes 5 servings with ½ cup for each serving.
- Sweet potato casserole provides about 242 calories, 10 gm total fat, 36 gm carbohydrates, 5 gm proteins and 4 gm fiber per serving.
- This provides about 2 gm saturated fat and 36 mg cholesterol. To decrease the cholesterol and total fat content of this recipe skip the egg yolk and use 2 egg whites instead.
- Mash the boiled sweet potatoes preferably with the skin as most of the vitamins and minerals are situated just below the skin. Moreover sweet potato is sweet enough, so mashing the skin in the meat of the potato won’t make any major taste difference.