Recipe Tips For Making Sweet Bread At Home
There are different varieties of sweet bread, the most popular being Portuguese and Hawaiian sweet bread. The following is a recipe for Portuguese sweet bread which is fairly simple to make.
No. of Servings: 10
Preparation time: 30 minutes plus 3 hours of standing time
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Sweet Bread Healthy Ingredients:
2 packets of active dry yeast
1 cup of scalded milk
1/4 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons of finely powdered cinnamon
Melted butter about half a cup
1/2 a teaspoon of salt or slightly more as per your requirements
6 cans of all purpose flour, or the same quantity in measured cups
Eggs – 4
Raisins, about 2 cups although this is optional
- Take a small bowl and pour in some water. Dissolve the yeast into it and wait for ten minutes to allow it to proof. Take a larger bowl and pour in the milk and add the sugar, butter and salt. Stir well till smooth and all the ingredients have mixed well. Take about 3 cans of the flour and add to this mixture. Keep mixing until it is completely smooth.
- Beat three of the four eggs till they are light and foamy and add to the large bowl along with the yeast. Add the rest of the flour slowly in order to make a smooth dough. Lightly flour a clean kitchen surface and turn the dough onto it. Knead it for 15 minutes or so until it is smooth and shiny.
- If you are including raisins in your recipe, you may add it at now by kneading it into the flour.
- Take a bowl and butter it well. Roll the dough into a ball and place in the bowl, turning it over till it is coated with the butter. Wait for it to rise for about 2 ½ to 3 hours till it rises to twice its former size. Punch the raised dough down and divide into equal halves using a sharp knife. In the meantime remember to preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Take the remaining egg and beat well. Brush the tops of the dough with it. Place the dough in a pan and bake it for half an hour till it is golden brown. Allow the bread to cool on wire racks and cut up and serve.
- 1 slice would approximately contain 130 calories, 20 g of carbohydrates, 1g of fiber, 5 g of protein, 3 g of fat and 2 g saturated fat, 27 mg cholesterol, a substantial amount of sodium, about 105 mg, 1 g of iron and 47 mcg folate.