Creamy Chicken Soup With Rice And Cheese
Creamy Chicken Soup Ingredients
2 cups spinach
3 cups chicken breast, cooked
1 can chicken broth, reduced sodium
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, reduced sodium and reduced fat
3 cups water
2/3 cup wild rice, uncooked
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon thyme, dried
- Combine the water, condensed cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, dried thyme, ground black pepper and uncooked wild rice in a 3 ½ to 4 quart slow cooker. Cover the lid and cook on high heat setting for 3 ½ to 4 hours or on low heat setting for 6 to 8 hours.
- Stir in the cooked chicken and uncooked spinach, just before serving, in the steaming hot mixture in cooker. Let it stand for a minute or two or until the spinach is slightly wilted. Serve. This recipe makes 6 servings.
- Spinach, chicken and wild rice soup recipe provides 233 calories, 19 gm carbohydrates, 2 gm dietary fiber, 25 gm proteins, and 6 gm total fat per serving.
- This recipe contains dairy (in cream of chicken soup), if you are allergic to dairy or dairy products then choose plain chicken soup instead of its creamed version. This change will also help to reduce the total fats and calories of this recipe.
- Spinach, chicken and wild rice soup is a high sodium soup recipe, as per serving, it provides 405 mg sodium. If sodium free versions of chicken broth or cream of chicken soups are available then use them, especially if you are on a sodium restricted diet.
- The chicken that you use in this recipe (whether you cook at home or you get ready to use ones) should be de-skinned. This is because the major part of fat and cholesterol in poultry is situated under the skin. Thus removing the skin can help to reduce these values (along with calories) significantly. This recipe provides 2 gm saturated fat and 66 mg cholesterol per serving which can be considered low.
- Wild rice is the unpolished version of rice which is healthier than regular polished or white rice. Besides fiber, many other nutrients remain intact which are otherwise stripped off while polishing.
- Spinach in this soup recipe provides good amounts of calcium and iron. To increase the iron absorption and availability from spinach, serve the soup with some fresh lemon wedges or orange slices. This is because vitamin C from lemon or orange or other foods help to increase the iron absorption by the body after ingestion.