Cooking Cashews With Garlic And Spicy Ingredients
- Garlic salt – half teaspoon
- Ground ginger – quarter teaspoon
- Whole cashews – three cups
- Nutmeg or allspice powder – one-eighth of a teaspoon
- Frozen apple juice concentrate – two tablespoons (Thaw the concentrate and bring it to room temperature, prior to preparation)
- Curry powder – two teaspoons
- Margarine or butter – quarter cup
- Hot pepper sauce – half teaspoon or Cayenne pepper – quarter teaspoon
Method Of Preparation:
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put the butter in a flat sauce pan and allow it to melt, on a low flame. Clarified butter is a good substitute.
- Add the cashews and roast them till they are golden brown in color, which generally takes around five minutes.
- Place the cashews on a kitchen tissue, to remove the excess oil. Put them back in a shallow bowl.
- Mix the garlic salt, cayenne pepper, nutmeg or allspice, ground ginger and curry powder, in a separate bowl and keep aside. Ground cardamom and turmeric are optional.
- Add the apple juice concentrate and hot pepper sauce to the cashews. Apple juice gives your dish a slightly sweet flavor, so if you can adjust the amount of juice to suit your taste.
- Add this mixture to the cashews and mix them thoroughly so that the nuts are coated evenly.
- Sprinkle the mixture of spice powders, and mix the ingredients thoroughly. Keep it aside for a few minutes so that the nuts soak in the sweet spicy flavor.
- Spread the nuts on a flat baking tray and bake it in the oven for about fifteen minutes.
- Allow it to cool and then store it in a sealed container.
- Curried cashews take around 25 minutes of preparation time. This recipe makes three servings of the snack.
Curried Cashews Health Benefits
- Nuts have a high satiety value and are healthy, though the portion size is a matter of concern. Curried cashew is a high fat and high calorie recipe.
- Store the mixture for not more than two weeks, as it may get a rancid flavor.
- Each serving of curried cashew provides 1655 milligrams of sodium and 61 milligrams of cholesterol.
- Total carbohydrate contribution is 50 grams per serving. About 6.3 grams of dietary fiber is also provided.
- It is not recommended for individuals with cardiac problems, due to its high saturated fat content, around 27.7 grams.
- About 25 percent of the daily value of potassium, of an individual is met by this recipe, as it provides 905 mg of potassium.
- This recipe also contributes about 22 grams of protein per serving.