Shrimp Slaw Recipe – Smoked Paprika
Paprika Shrimp Slaw Recipe Ingredients
- Shrimp – 1 ¼ pounds medium or large shrimp in shells
- Coleslaw mix – if packaged 4 1/2 cups otherwise 3 cups of green cabbage shredded along with ½ cup of chopped red cabbage and 1/2 cup grated carrot
- Smoked Paprika –1 1/2 teaspoon
- Cucumber – ½ a medium sized cucumber, bias sliced
- Mayonnaise dressing – 1/3 cup, preferably low-fat
- Yogurt – 1/3 cup, either low fat or fat free
- Milk – 2 tablespoons of fat free milk
- Coriander – 1 1/2 teaspoons heated lightly and ground fine
- Garlic – 2 cloves, minced fine
- Cilantro – 2 tablespoons of fresh snipped cilantro
- Pepper – 1/8 teaspoon, ground well
- lime juice – 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed juice
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Lime – 4 wedges (optional)
- Combine the mayonnaise dressing, yogurt, fresh cilantro and lime juice in a bowl. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt and spoon in 1 tablespoon milk while stirring continuously. Add the remaining milk and keep stirring until the dressing has thinned out sufficiently and is the desired consistency.
- Add the coleslaw or the cabbage and carrot mix to the cucumber slices. Mix these veggies along with your Cilantro-Lime Dressing and toss it lightly. This will ensure that all the ingredients are evenly coated. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator as this will allow the vegetables to soak in the flavors of the dressing.
- If the shrimp is frozen make sure that you thaw it out completely prior to preparing your salad. Deshell and devein the shrimp gently and leave the tails intact for presentation value. Rinse the shrimp under running water and then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Toss the garlic, paprika, coriander and pepper into a bowl along with the remaining salt. Add the shrimp to the bowl and toss lightly so that the shrimp are completely and evenly coated in the spices.
- Grease the unheated rack of the broiler pan. Thread the shrimp onto skewers and place them 4 inches from the heat. Keep them in for about 5 to 8 minutes. Medium sized shrimp will require less time to cook. When Shrimp is cooked, it turns opaque. After the first 4 minutes of broiling, keep an eye on the shrimp so that you do not overcook them.
- Divide the vegetable mixture into 4 equal parts and place them on 4 salad bowls or plates. Top it off with the shrimp skewers and serve with lime wedges on the side.
- Smoked paprika shrimp slaw is a diabetes friendly salad. However, it has a relatively high cholesterol value – 159 mg, and so it is not recommended for people suffering from serious cholesterol problems.