Sautéed Red Pepper with Cashews
No. of Servings: 1
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Red bell peppers, seeded, sliced – ½ cup
Olive oil – 2 teaspoons
Cashews, unsalted, dry roasted – 2 tablespoons
- Place a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat and add two teaspoons of olive oil. Then add the slices of red bell pepper and sauté for around 5 to 7 minutes until they are tender.
- Chop the dry roasted unsalted cashews and add to the bell peppers. Cook for one more minute and serve hot.
Nutritional Information: (Amounts per serving)
- Calories 190
- Saturated Fat 2.6g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9g
- FAT(total) 18g
- Carbohydrates 7.1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Protein 3.1g
- Sodium 3 mg
- Cashews are a valuable and delicious addition to a meal as they are high in magnesium. They also beneficial for the heart and aid in bone metabolism.
- Research indicates that women who consume a diet rich in nuts have a 25 percent reduced chance of gallstone formation.
- Bell peppers are important sources of vitamins A and C, which serve as powerful antioxidants that help in neutralizing free radicals. Peppers also contain vitamin B6 and folic acid which are beneficial in preventing cardiovascular disease. Red bell peppers contain lutein and zeaxanthin which are phytonutrients that help to fight against macular degeneration. Peppers are also known to contain fiber which helps to reduce the contact between cells of the colon and toxins that cause cancer.
- In addition to the red bell peppers, other vegetables may also be added to this dish such as onions and snow peas.
- Garlic is also a healthy addition to the dish as it contains sulfur compounds which are known to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels. It is also beneficial in preventing cancer of the stomach and colon. In order to allow these sulfur compounds to develop it is advisable to set aside the cloves of garlic for about ten minutes after peeling them.
- You may also sauté the ingredients in vegetable broth to enhance the flavor the dish. For a non-vegetarian flavor, chicken broth may also be used.