Sunshine Cake Recipes for Birthdays and Weddings
3 eggs, whole
1 cup sugar, granulated
¼ tsp almond extract
¼ tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup water
¾ cup cake flour, sifted
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp cream of tartar
Orange zest or peel
Orange butter cream frosting, recipe follows below
Sunshine Cake Cooking Method
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. With a blunt knife break the top of the eggs and carefully separate the yolks from the whites. Place both the egg yolks and egg whites in two separate large mixing bowls. Beat yolks with a wire whisk until they are foamy and light. Add water to the yolks gradually. Add in the vanilla extract and almond extract and continue beating it until it gets a pale thick texture. The beating period for egg yolks along with other listed ingredients can be up to 7 minutes.
- Mix flour with baking powder and salt and sift the mixture again. Gradually fold the sifted flour mixture in the egg mixture, small amounts at a time.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites on medium speed with an electric beater or wire and whisk gently until they become foamy. Add cream of tartar and a dash of salt to egg whites and beat for few more seconds. Increase the speed of the beater and beat the egg whites till they form glossy and moist peaks.
- Pour the beaten egg yolk mixture with a distance of around 10 to 12 inch, so the stream is thin on the surface of the egg white mixture. Gently mix both the egg white and egg yolk mixture in a cut and fold manner with a wooden spatula to ensure even mixing. Pour this mixture in an ungreased round tube pan (choose a pan that has a removable bottom). To get rid of any large air pockets gently draw a thin spatula through the batter. Place the pan in the oven and bake for an hour. The cake may fall slightly after about 50 minutes of baking, but don’t worry it will rise again. When done, remove the pan from the oven and invert it on a wire rack. Let the pan cool for 1½ hour and frost the cake when it is cooled completely. Garnish with orange zest or peel.
- For orange cream frosting: Mix 1 stick butter and 1¼ cup of sugar in a bowl. Gradually add just enough orange juice to make the frosting thin so as it can spread well.
- Use natural sweeteners or artificial sweeteners in place of sugar to reduce the total calories of the recipe and also to make it diabetes friendly.
- If you are watching your weight then you may skip the frosting for the cake.