Raisin-Carrot Muffin with Cream Cheese Recipe
No. of servings: 12
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Cream Cheese Ingredients:
All purpose flour – 1 ½ cup
Cinnamon – 2 teaspoon
Baking powder – 1 ½ teaspoon
Baking soda – ½ teaspoon
Salt – ½ teaspoon
2 large eggs
Granulated sugar – ¾ cup
Coarsely shredded carrots (about 3 to 4 large) – 1 ½ cup
Raisins – ½ cup
Buttermilk or milk – 1/3 cup
Butter or margarine melted – 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon
Softened cream cheese – ¼ cup (2 ounces)
Powdered sugar – 1 cup
Milk – 2 tablespoons
Vanilla extract – ½ teaspoon
- First of all preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and start by mixing all the dry ingredients together that is the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs and sugar followed by adding carrots, raisins, buttermilk and 1/3 cup melted butter mixing them well.
- Next, add the flour mixture to this and stir until all the dry ingredients are mixed well and moistened.
- Now spoon this batter into greased or paper lined muffin cups and allow it to bake for about 16 to 18 minutes or until the muffins turn golden brown.
- On the other hand, mix cream cheese and 1 tablespoon melted butter in a bowl and add the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract to it gradually beating it until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Place a dollop of the cream cheese frosting over each muffin and serve.
- Raisin carrot muffin is a great treat especially with the dollop of cream cheese on it and is very easy to make. However, all those out there who are keeping a close check on their calorie intake, this mouth watering muffin might not be ideal for you.
- The recipe contains cream cheese, butter and eggs all of which contain excess amount of calories.
- Carrots are good for your health as it has a number of health benefits and has both nutritional and medicinal values. They are an excellent source of beta carotene that is equivalent to vitamin A.
- It also contains folic acid in bulk which is a group of vitamin B which has a good effect to fight against free radicals in the body.
- You can forgo the cream cheese topping to reduce the calorie intake or can substitute cream cheese with yogurt cheese which is a better alternative.
- You can use light fat free cream cheese or low fat milk.