Healthy Calzone Recipes With Spinach and Cheese
Spinach Recipe Ingredients:
14 ounce refrigerated pizza dough
5 ounce frozen spinach
1 egg white
2 tablespoon green onions or scallions, chopped
3 tablespoon parmesan cheese, divided
4 ounce reduced fat cream cheese
1 tablespoon tap water
A dash of freshly ground black pepper
Non-stick cooking spray
- Thaw the spinach and coarsely chop it. Lightly coat two foils with non-stick cooking spray and line two baking sheets with the coated foils. Set them aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl to prepare the filling stir in chopped spinach along with 2 tablespoon parmesan cheese, scallions, a dash of freshly ground pepper and cream cheese. Set this filling aside.
- On lightly floured surface unroll the refrigerated pizza dough. Roll the dough into square of approximately 15 inch. Cut this big square into 25 three inch squares using a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
- In the center of each small 3 inch square spoon the prepared filling with the help of a round teaspoon.
- Combine 1 tablespoon water with the egg white in a small bowl. Brush the edges of the squares with this egg white and water mixture. To make a triangle shape, lift corner of the dough square and stretch it over the filling and match it with the opposite corner.
- In order to seal the edges press them lightly with the help of a fork, also prick the tops of the calzones. Arrange the sealed calzones in one layer on the prepared baking dish. Brush the pricked tops with the remaining egg and water mixture. Garnish with the remaining parmesan cheese and place the baking dish in the preheated oven. Bake for about 9 to 10 minutes or till the upper crust with cheese turns golden brown in color. Repeat with another baking sheet. Cool both the baking sheets slightly and serve the mini spinach calzones warm. This recipe makes 25 appetizers. For convenience you can make the spinach filling one day ahead and store in the refrigerator. Before making the calzones remove the filling 30 minutes before to soften, if needed.
- Mini spinach calzones is a low calorie, vegetarian, diabetes friendly recipe which provides only 55 calories, 2 gm total fat, 2 gm protein, and 8 gm carbohydrate per serving.
- This recipe provides only 4 mg cholesterol and 125 mg sodium, so it can be considered heart friendly and can be easily enjoyed by people on low cholesterol or low sodium diets.