Coconut Cream Pie Recipes for Special Ocassion
2 large eggs, whole
1 large egg yolk
½ cup sugar
3 tablespoon all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
1½ cup sweetened coconut, flaked
1½ cup milk, whole
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoon butter, chilled, unsalted cut into small pieces
1½ cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoon solid vegetables shortening, chilled, cut into small pieces
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
4-5 tablespoons chilled ice water
1¼ whipping cream, chilled
1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
2/3 cup sweetened coconut, flaked
2 tablespoons sugar
Cooking Coconut Cream Pies
- For filling: Whisk egg, egg yolk, ½ cup sugar and all purpose flour in a large bowl. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add coconut and milk in the sauce pan and simmer. Add this hot milk and coconut mixture to the egg mixture gradually in small amounts at a time to prevent coagulation of the eggs. Mix constantly with each small addition. As the two mixtures are blended well, return to the same sauce pan and cook till the mixture boils and thickens. Stir constantly for about 4 to 5 minutes to get a thick liquid. Remove from flame and add coconut extract and vanilla to the mixture. Place this pastry cream in a bowl and press a plastic wrap directly on the top to prevent skin formation. Chill for 2 to 24 hours in the refrigerator
- For crust: In processor blend flour with salt and sugar. Add chilled pieces of vegetable shortening and butter and blend until the mixture resembles coarse meal. To keep the mixture chilled, sprinkle water over the blended mixture. Blend to form moist dough, add more chilled water if needed, 1 teaspoon at a time. Form small balls from the dough and flatten them in the disk. Wrap the disk in plastic and chill for an hour. Place the dough between 2 plastic wrap sheets and roll it out to get a 14 inch round circle. Transfer the rolled dough to a 9 inch glass pie dish. Decoratively crimp the edges and press the bottom of the crust with a fork. Freeze for 15 to 20 minutes. Line the crust with an aluminum foil and fill pie weights in the crust. Preheat oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit. Place the crust in the preheated oven and bake them for about 20 minutes. Remove the foil and weights after 20 minutes and place the crusts again in the oven to bake until they get a light golden brown color.
- For topping: Sauté coconut in a saucepan stirring continuously till it gets a golden brown color. Cool well. Beat cream, coconut extracts and sugar using electric mixture in a medium bowl until it forms soft peaks. Spread this mixture over the top filling and sprinkle with toasted coconut evenly. Cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours. Serve cold. This recipe makes 8 servings.
- For convenience purpose the filling and the crust, both can be made one day prior to serving.
- You may use natural sugar substitute instead of table sugar.