Low Calorie Omelet Recipes: Tex-Mex Spinach Omelet
4 whole eggs or 1 cup frozen or refrigerated egg product
¾ cup baby spinach
¼ cup whole corn kernel, frozen
¼ cup red peppers, chopped
2 tablespoon red onions, chopped
2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, snipped and divided in 2 parts
Salt to taste
¼ teaspoon cumin seeds, roasted and ground
1 ounce Monterey cheese, pepper jack
Canola cooking spray
- Thaw the corn kernel and egg product thoroughly before using in the recipe.
- Take a medium bowl to combine eggs or egg product, salt, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and cumin. Beat this egg mixture with the help of a rotary beater or a wire whisk till frothy.
- Spray an unheated nonstick pan with canola cooking spray. Preheat the nonstick pan before adding the egg mixture.
- As the pan gets heated pour the egg mixture and let it get cooked without disturbing it. As the egg mixture begins to set after 2 to 3 minutes lift the sides to check if the lower portion is golden brown. If done then with the help of a wooden spatula flip the uncooked portion upside down. The upper portion will get cooked fast as compared to the lower part.
- Continue cooking till the egg mixture is completely set but at the same time still moist and glossy. As it reaches this stage sprinkle cheese and top with half the corn kernels and three-forth of the spinach. With the help of a wooden spatula lift and fold the edges of the omelet over the filling partially. Top with the remaining relish and spinach and cut the omelet into half. Transfer the omelet into warm plates before serving. This recipe makes two portions.
- Corn pepper relish: take a small bowl and combine ¼ cup frozen corn kernels (thawed), ¼ cup red sweet pepper (chopped), 1 tablespoon cilantro and 2 tablespoon of red onions.
- This is a low calorie recipe that provides 142 calories and 5 gm fat per serving.
- To decrease the total fat and cholesterol content of this recipe use only egg whites instead of whole eggs. Egg yolk in whole egg is a rich source of cholesterol and fats.
- Beat the egg product or egg whites to get a fluffy or foamy stage. This will give a soft and fluffy touch to the recipe.
- Use only reduced fat cheese. You may decrease the amount or completely eliminate the cheese from the recipe if you are on a low fat or weigh reduction diet.