Italian Beans and Pesto Recipe
¾ cup bulgur
2 cups red kidney beans, canned or cooked
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
½ cup green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
1 can chicken broth, reduced sodium (approximately 14 ounces)
1/3 cup pesto, basil
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Salad greens, optional
Tortilla flour, optional
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Cooking Italian Recipes
- Combine bulgur and chicken broth in a large sauce pan. Boil the contents over medium to high flame. After one boil reduce the heat to low and simmer until the bulgur is tender, for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the vegetables that are green onions, bell pepper, and pesto. Stir in balsamic vinegar and beans. Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt. As the contents get cool to room temperature transfer in an air tight container. Cover the lid tightly. You may chill Italian beans with pesto in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- While serving roll in tortilla and serve. You may also serve salad greens as accompaniment with this recipe. This recipe serves 4.
- Use low fat chicken broth along with low sodium.
- This recipe provides about 330 calories, 15 gm protein and 10 gm fat per serving.