Honey Granola Nutrition and Granola Recipes
300 gm, around 3 cups of rolled oats, old fashioned not instant ones
75 gm whole almonds, raw
45 gm pumpkin seeds, raw
45 gm sunflower seeds, raw
30 gm sesame seeds
5 gm wheat germ, optional
¼ teaspoon salt
120 ml honey
60 ml canola oil
¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
½ teaspoon vanilla extract, pure
1 cup dried fruits (mixed dried fruits like figs, dates, apricots, raisins, cranberries and cherries)
60 ml water
25 gm light brown sugar
Granola Cooking Methods:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degree Fahrenheit. Line a baking dish with a parchment paper or butter the dish lightly. Also place a rack in the oven.
- Take a large bowl and combine all the nuts, rolled oats, wheat germ, seeds, salt and cinnamon.
- Mix water, honey, oil, brown sugar and vanilla extract in a saucepan and bring them to a boil, stirring constantly. After a boil pour this mixture immediately on the nuts, seeds and oats mixture and toss well. All the dry ingredients should be coated with this hot liquid evenly. Spread this mixture over the baking dish and place in the center of the oven over the rack. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the mixture gets a light golden brown color. It is recommended to stir occasionally so that the mixture will get an even brown color. This stage is very important as the browner the mixture gets the crunchier the granola will be. However take extra care while baking the granola at the end as it can burn easily.
- As a desired golden color is achieved, remove the mixture from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack. The granola may be still sticky at this stage but as it cools down it will get its crunchy texture. While the mixture is still warm, make sure to break all the large lumps.
- Once the mixture is cooled thoroughly store it in an airtight container to retain its wonderful crispy texture. You may store granola in the refrigerator for several weeks.
- Enjoy honey granola with a cup of low fat milk and fresh fruits of your choice, like any other crunchy cereal. This recipe makes 5 cups.
- You may even serve honey granola with fresh low fat yoghurt and strawberries.
- Although wheat germ is optional, I recommend its use in the recipe as it is loaded with many nutrients and fiber.