Nut Varieties And Herbed Mixed Nuts Recipes
- Parmesan cheese – 2 tablespoons (grated)
- Mixture of nuts (unsalted almonds, pecan halves, soy nuts and walnuts) – 3 cups
- Unsalted butter – 1 tablespoon (Melt the butter)
- Fresh rosemary leaves (chopped) – 1 tablespoon
- Dried oregano – 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garlic salt or sea salt – 2 teaspoons (or according to taste)
- Freshly chopped thyme leaves – 1 1/2 teaspoons (Use dried leaves, if not available)
- Basil leaves – 2 teaspoons
- Black pepper, ground – 1/4 teaspoon
- Light brown sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Worcestershire sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil or canola oil – 1 tablespoon
Method Of Preparation:
- Herbed mixed nuts recipe is an all time favorite snack that is both filling and healthy. As the name indicates, the recipe includes various nuts such as almonds, pecan halves, walnuts and soy nuts. If you are partial to a particular type of nut or nuts you can use alter the recipe accordingly and use only those nuts. Heat the oven to a temperature of about 325 degree Fahrenheit.
- Pour the olive oil, sugar and Worcestershire sauce in a bowl. Heat this mixture for about two minutes until the sugar melts. This mixture will serve as the glazing for the nuts and herbs.
- Add the salt and herbs, such as thyme, rosemary and basil or oregano to the bowl and mix well. Put the nuts into the bowl and toss well.
- Use of unsalted nuts contributes to lower sodium content and fat concentration.
- Various herbs, used in this dish, such as oregano, thyme, rosemary and basil, in conjunction with garlic salt and Parmesan cheese have several health benefits.
- Take out the nuts and place them on a flat baking tray and top the tray with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Pop your tray into the oven for seven minutes and then remove it. Stir the mixture well and allow it to bake for another five minutes and then stir it once more.
- The nuts should now be a light golden brown in color. Put your tray back into the oven for an additional fifteen minutes and then take it out and allow it to cool.
- Store for around seven days in a moisture free container.
- In order to save time, the nuts can be roasted a few days prior to the preparation of the recipe and stored in a zip lock bag. This helps to prevent them from becoming rancid.
Spiced Nuts Health Benefits
- Herbed mixed nuts recipe includes nuts and dairy products and should be avoided, in case of intolerance or allergy.
- The above mentioned recipe serves three.
- It is a diabetes friendly snack, which is high in calories.