Recipe for Pan Cooked Apples With Red Wine
No. of Servings: 4
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Apples – 4 (ripe and medium size)
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Orange – 1 (small)
- Cinnamon – 1 stick (roughly broken)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Low fat/fat free spread – 40 gms
- Red wine – 150 ml
- Raspberries – 225 gms
- Sugar – 60 gms
- Fresh mint – a few springs to be used as garnish(optional)
- Wash the apples and pat them dry. Then take off the peel and the core of the apple before chopping the apples into relatively thick wedges.
- Transfer the apple wedges to a bowl and pour in the lemon juice. The lemon juice will prevent the apple from turning black or any other discoloration.
- Next, place a frying pan on a medium flame and allow the fat free/low fat spread to gently melt .While it’s melting also stir in the sugar to get a thick paste like liquid.
- Now add the thickly sliced apple wedges to this pan and allow them to cook, stirring continuously till all the wedges appear to be well coated with the sugar and low fat spread paste. This mostly takes a maximum of 2- 3 minutes.
- Now grate some of the rind from the orange and it’s to the pan along with the coarsely broken cinnamon. Extract the juice from the left over orange and add this too to the mixture along with the red wine.
- Let all the ingredients simmer together for around 10 minutes before adding the raspberries to the pan.
- Continue cooking for another 5 minutes till the apples are soft and tender.
- After discarding the cinnamon and orange rind from the mixture, transfer it to the serving platter.
- The mint leaves may be scattered over the mixture to serve as a garnish. This is optional.
- This dish is best served hot, immediately after it is ready.
- Pan frying is considered as one of the healthy ways of frying because it involves minimal use of oil. This in turn reduces the intake of harmful calories.
- It also helps the food to retain its moisture thereby avoiding loss of valuable nutrients.
- Apples are known to be one of the healthiest fruits as they are high in fiber and anti oxidants that enable the body’s muscle growth.