Lentil Soup Mix and Low Fat Soup Recipes
Lentils along with macaroni and vegetables becomes and special gift for all soup lovers. Try the tempting lentil soup mix to boost you appetite before meals.
Lentil Soup Ingredients:
¾ cup fusilli macaroni (small round twist), uncooked ½ cup lentils, dry
¾ cup (around ½ ounce) dried mushrooms (shiitake), crumbled or chopped
2 tablespoon minced onion, dried
3 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated (non refrigerated)
2 tablespoon parsley, dried
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon oregano, dried and crushed
2 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules, sodium free
- Take a pint jar and set all these dry ingredients in layers. Begin with macaroni, mushrooms, lentils, cheese, onion, garlic powder, chicken granules, parsley and oregano.
- To fill all the ingredients in the jar more easily you may use a funnel. Press down the ingredients gently after each addition. After all the ingredients fit in the jar seal the lid tightly. This soup mix makes 5 cups of soups and 1 cup equals one serving.
- If you intend to store the soup mix for long period (more than a couple of months) you may
write the following instructions on the jar –
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 10 cups water
- 1 pint jar of lentil soup mix
To prepare lentil soup mix – Take a large saucepan and combine all the ingredients of the jar with water. Bring the water to a boil stirring well so as all the ingredients are mixed with water. After a boil reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for about 45 to 50 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the contents of the soup mix sticking at the bottom of the pan. As the lentils turn tender you may stir in the salt. If you prefer thin soup with water then you can take the sauce pan off the heat. But if you desire a thicker soup then simmer for few more minutes. Serve hot.
- Preferably use only reduced fat or low fat Parmesan cheese. Do not use refrigerated cheese, because the lentil soup mix may become perishable and not stay for long period of time.
- If you prefer a vegetarian soup you may eliminate the chicken granules from the ingredients. You may include other herbs like dried onions, dried thyme and crushed red pepper to give a peppy taste to the soup mix.
- This recipe provides about 130 calories and 7 gm protein per serving. The fat content of the lentil soup mix is very low, about 1 gm per serving.