Lemon Yogurt Ingredients:
- 32 ounce skim milk
- 3 teaspoon cultured yogurt, nonfat
- 1 cup powered milk, nonfat
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, freshly grated
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 2 to 3 drops yellow food coloring, optional
Preparation Method For Making Yogurt
- Transfer the milk to a deep pan. Warm it over medium heat to 115 degree Fahrenheit. If you are using powdered milk then stir it in warm water.
- Stir a small amount of this warm milk along with cultured yogurt in a small bowl, mix well to ensure that all the lumps have broken up. Add this mixture to the warm milk and mix well. Place the milk in a warm place for about 8 to 9 hours or until set.
- To check shake the pan lightly, if the milk seems set then place it in the refrigerator to cool for 4 to 5 hours.
- Combine plain yogurt along with lemon juice, freshly grated lemon peel and sugar. Mix well. Stir in the yellow food color if desired to give a light yellow color to your lemon yogurt. Refrigerate to chill. Serve. This recipe makes 5 servings, 1 bowl each.
- Lemon yogurt is a low fat recipe that provides 187 calories, 3 gm total fat, 3 gm proteins and 38 gm carbohydrates per serving.
- This recipe provides very little cholesterol, saturated fats and sodium that is 12 mg cholesterol, 2 gm saturated fats and 42 mg sodium per serving.
- To reduce the total calories and simple sugars of this recipe you may use equal amounts of sugar substitute to replace 2/3 cup white or table sugar. However make sure to read the food label and add only the required amount of sugar substitute.
- Yogurt is a dairy product; if you are suffering from lactose intolerance or have any milk solids allergy then you can substitute low fat milk with low fat soy milk.
- Besides yogurt being a better source of calcium than milk, the calcium from yogurt is also readily absorbed in the body as compared to milk. This benefit is due to the acidic nature of yogurt (calcium gets readily absorbed in an acidic medium).
- Thus including yogurt in your diet can give you dual benefit if you are looking out especially for calcium from dairy products.
- You can even make a tempting dessert like frozen lemon yogurt. Just place the yogurt in an ice cream freezer or simply in a refrigerator freezer until ready to serve. Scoop the yogurt in dessert bowl and serve.