Traditional Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
Italian Wedding Soup Ingredients:
4 ounce ground pork
4 ounce ground beef
½ egg, whole
½ slice fresh white bread
½ small onion, grated
1/8 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
½ teaspoon garlic, minced
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup parmesan, grated
Freshly ground black pepper
For the soup:
½ pound curly endive, chopped coarsely (if endive is not your choice then same amount of escarole can be a good substitution)
1 large egg, whole
6 cups chicken broth, low sodium
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, freshly grated, plus 1/8 teaspoon more for garnishing purpose
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Trim the crust of the bread and tear it into small pieces. In a large bowl stir eggs, onions, fresh parsley, garlic, salt and torn bread to make the meat balls. Add beef pork and cheese to this and mix well using your hands. Shape meatballs into 1 inch diameter meatballs. For even size you may use 1½ teaspoon as measure for each meatball before shaping. Place the shaped meat balls on a baking sheet.
- To make soup, in a large pot boil the chicken broth over medium to high heat. Add meatballs to the boiling broth along with the curly endive and lower the heat. Simmer on low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the meatballs and curly endive is tender. To blend the eggs and cheese whisk them together in a medium bowl. With the help of a wooden spoon stir the soup in circular clockwise direction. Pour in the egg mixture gradually in the moving chicken broth. Stir this mixture gently with a fork for about a minute so as to form thin egg strands. Simmer on low flame for about 2 minutes. Season the soup with freshly ground black pepper and salt as per taste. Before serving ladle the soup in the serving bowls and serve hot. If desired give a finishing touch to the soup by garnishing a single serving of each bowl with few strands of freshly grated parmesan cheese. This recipe makes 4 servings.
- Italian wedding soup is an easy recipe that can be prepared under 30 minutes.
- To make this recipe further healthy only use extra lean cuts of beef and pork. Also you may use only egg white in place of whole egg. Egg white will also perform its binding function very well when used to bind the meatballs.
- The chicken broth that you use should be low fat along with low sodium broth.