Cooking Cheese Quiche Recipe Made Easy
Crustless Cheese Ingredients
1/8 cup whole wheat pastry flour
¾ cup cottage cheese, low fat
½ cup cream cheese, reduced fat
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
5 ounce frozen broccoli, chopped
½ cup frozen or refrigerated egg product, thawed
A dash of salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly coat a medium size pie plate with nonstick cooking spray, leave aside.
- Combine the whole wheat pastry flour along with thawed egg product, salt and freshly ground black pepper in a medium bowl. Add the chopped broccoli, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese and feta cheese to the bowl, mix well. Spread this mixture in the prepared pie plates with the help of a spoon.
- Place the plates in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 30 minutes. When a knife inserted in the center of the plate comes out clean, consider the quiche done. Remove from oven and cool over a wire rack for 5 minutes before serving. This recipe makes 4 servings.
- Crustless cheese quiche is a quick, vegetarian recipe which provides about 158 calories and 6 gm total fat per serving.
- This recipe can be considered a high protein low carbohydrate recipe as it provides about 16 gm proteins and 8 gm carbohydrates per serving.
- This recipe can be considered a high sodium recipe as per serving it provides about 531 mg sodium. Avoid adding salt and use reduced sodium cheeses to decrease the total sodium content of this recipe.
- Broccoli used in this recipe is an excellent source of folic acid. Also it is a low calorie vegetable which is packed with other vital vitamins and minerals.
- This recipe contains dairy, wheat or gluten. So, if you have any food allergies especially gluten allergy or lactose intolerance, consume this cheese quiche only after consulting your health care specialist.
- To keep the total calories and fat content of the recipe low, use only low fat cottage cheese and low fat cheeses.
- This recipe can be easily included in your meals if you are on a low cholesterol diet as it provides only 26 mg cholesterol and 4 gm saturated fat per serving.
- You can easily prepare low fat cottage cheese at home – for this, boil milk over medium heat in a saucepan. After it boils add sour plain yogurt or fresh lemon juice or vinegar to the milk and keep boiling. The milk will curdle in 2 minutes. Drain the liquid whey out and reserve the cottage cheese. Don’t discard the liquid whey; you can use it in soups or gravies for vegetables to enhance the flavor and nutrition of the dish.