Homemade Cranberry Phyllo Cheesecake Recipes
8 phyllo dough sheets
1 cup fresh cranberries
2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
1/3 cup pitted plums, dried
8 ounce cream cheese, reduced fat
1 egg, whole
1 egg white
2 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup granulated sugar, divided
Buttered flavored cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- For the topping: Combine dried plums, cranberries, orange juice and ¼ cup sugar together in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the mixture gets slightly thickened and the cranberries pop, stir frequently. Set the mixture aside.
- For the filling: Combine cream cheese, whole egg, egg white, ¼ cup granulated sugar, and vanilla extract together in a food processor and cover its lid. Process the contents to get a smooth paste and set aside. If necessary scrap the sides of the bowl.
- For the crust: Coat a pie plate with non-stick cooking spray or lightly coat a medium size tart pan (about 9 inch) with removable bottom and leave aside. From the 8 phyllo dough sheets, remove one sheet and cover the others with a plastic wrap as you work to prevent them from drying. Coat the first phyllo sheet with non-stick cooking spray and top the coated side with the second phyllo sheet. Trim the phyllo sheets to form a 13×9 inch rectangle. Press the trimmed phyllo rectangle gently in the pie plate or tart pan and allow its end to extent all over the plate or pan. Coat this layer again with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle some amount of wheat germ. Similarly coat 2 more phyllo sheets and pile them across the phyllo in the pans. If desired spread the sheets in a crisscross fashion. Lightly coat the top layer with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle some amount of wheat germ. Repeat the same process with the remaining phyllo sheets and wheat germ. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- With the help of a spoon spread the prepared filling evenly over the baked crust. On the filling spread the cranberry mixture with a different spoon. With a sharp knife cut through the cranberry mixture and filling carefully. Bake in the oven for more 20 to 25 minutes or until the filling is set and the phyllo turns light brown in color. Cover the edges of the tart with a foil for the last 10 minutes if necessary to prevent over browning.
- Remove from the oven and let it stand for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Cover and chill the cheesecake in the refrigerator for at least 4 to 24 hours before serving. This recipe makes 10 servings.
- This recipe provides about 156 calories, and 6 gm fat per serving.
- Cranberry phyllo cheesecake can be a healthy choice for dessert as it is diabetes friendly and heart friendly recipe.