Healthy Cranberry Low Calorie Vegetable Recipes
Cranberry Recipe Ingredients:
4 cups cranberry juice, low calorie
4 cups apple cider
1 teaspoon whole allspice
1 six inch cinnamon stick, break it into small pieces
- Take a square 6 or 8 inch cotton cheese cloth with double thickness for the spice bag and place broken cinnamon sticks and whole all spice mixture in the center of the square.
- Bring the corners of the square together and with the help of a clean cotton string tie them.
- Combine 4 cups cranberry juice along with 4 cups of apple cider in a medium size slow cooker (about 3 ½ to 4 ½ quart). Place the prepared cinnamon and spice bag in the cooker and cover it.
- Let the mixture get cooked on high heat setting for 2 ½ to 3 ½ hours or on low heat setting for 6 to 7 hours.
- After done, uncover the cooker and discard the spice bag.
- Serve cranberry and cider mixture into large cups. Skewer fresh cranberries and place in the cups before serving, if desired. This recipe makes 8 servings.
- Cranberry apple cider is a very easy, low calorie, vegetarian recipe. This recipe provides only only 83 calories and 21 gm carbohydrates per serving.
- This recipe can be considered heart friendly and diabetes friendly as it provides negligible amounts of total fats, cholesterol, saturated fats, fiber and protein.
- This recipe can be easily incorporated in the diet of individuals on low sodium or reduced sodium diet as it provides only 21 mg sodium per serving.
- For variation you may use 4 cups apple juice instead of apple cider. For a tangy taste you may even add a cup of orange juice to the recipe. Additional orange juice will help to increase the vitamin C content of the recipe.
- Cranberry, a cousin of blueberry is bright red and very tart berry rich in vitamin C. Cranberries, especially in its juice form are valued for their ability to reduce the risk of UTI or urinary tract infections. Cranberries contain hippuric acid which is also known as an antibacterial agent, helps to reduce the ability of E. coli bacteria to stick to the walls of urinary tract. As cranberries prevent the adherence of E. coli bacteria, the bacteria is being washed away in the urine and thrown out of the body. Cranberries also help to alter the cell membranes of the bacteria and disrupt their communication.