Spicy Baked Biscuits for Refreshment
1 cup all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 cup shortening
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup milk, fat free
½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1 teaspoon sugar
Spiced Fan Biscuits Method:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degree Fahrenheit. Grease 6 two inch muffin cups lightly and leave aside.
- Take a large bowl and stir all purpose flour with baking flour, salt and cream of tartar. Cut in the shortening using a pastry blender and blend until the whole mixture resembles like coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of this crumb and pour milk there. Stir only till the dough clings together.
- Take a flat rolling board and lightly flour it or lightly flour a flat surface and knead the dough by light folding and gentle pressing for up to 10-12 strokes. As the dough is nearly smooth stop kneading and divide the dough in two equal halves. Roll one part in a rectangular shape, roughly 10-8 inches in size. Take a small bowl to combine sugar and cinnamon. Spread half of the sugar cinnamon mixture on the rolled rectangular part. Cut the rectangle in to five 10×2 inch strips. Pile these strips on top of each other and cut into six 2 inch stacks. Cut aside down and place each stack in the greased muffin cups. Repeat the same procedure with the remaining dough and sugar.
- After done, place the muffin cups in the preheated oven and bake for about 10-12 minutes. As they turn golden brown, remove from the oven and serve warm. This recipe serves six.
- Kneading the dough is a very important stage along with blending the shortening in the flour. Follow the procedure properly to get a perfect taste and texture for the biscuits.
- Preferably use only fat free milk and avoid full cream milk.
- This is a low calorie vegetarian recipe which can also be consumed safely by individuals with diabetes.
- This recipe provides around 120 calories, 3 gm proteins and 4 gm fats.
- It is also not high in sodium, so can be safely consumed by people with high blood pressure problems. This recipe provides around 190 mg sodium per serving.
- This recipe contains dairy and wheat or gluten, so people with lactose intolerance and celiac diseases or gluten sensitivity should consume this product with a word of caution.