Rosemary Scone Recipe With Blueberries and Frozen Scones
Rosemary Scone Recipe Ingredients:
2 tablespoon rosemary, fresh, snipped
1 tablespoon lemon peel or orange peel, grated
2 ¼ cup all purpose flour, white
1 egg, whole, lightly beaten
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder, low sodium
2/3 cup milk, fat free or low fat
2 tablespoon milk, fat free
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter
Nonstick cooking spray
1 tablespoon orange marmalade, low sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degree Fahrenheit.
- Using nonstick cooking spray, lightly coat a medium size baking sheet and leave aside.
- Stir together all purpose white flour, low sodium baking powder, sugar, snipped rosemary, salt and lemon or orange peel in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter in the flour mixture using a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. In the center of this make a well and leave aside.
- Beat lightly whole egg, egg white and 2/3 cup fat free milk in a small bowl. Add this lightly beaten milk and egg mixture in the center of the flour mixture all at once. With the help of a fork stir well until the flour is moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface kneed this moistened flour to turn it into dough. Gently press and fold the dough 10 to 12 times and kneed until the dough becomes smooth.
- Pat this kneaded dough about ½ inches in thickness into a 9 inch circle. Using a round cutter of about 2 to 2 ½ inch cut round circles. Reroll the scraps and continue to make small circles with round cutter. Transfer these scones to the greased baking sheet and brush its top with the remaining 2 tablespoon fat free milk.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for about 13 to 15 minutes or till the scones turn golden brown in color. Serve warm with low sugar orange marmalade. This recipe makes 12 servings.
- Citrus rosemary scones is a low calorie, vegetarian recipe (contains egg) which provides about 154 calories and 4 gm fat per serving.
- This recipe can be considered both diabetes friendly and heart friendly as it provides only 2 gm saturated fat, 99 mg sodium and 25 gm carbohydrates per serving.
- To reduce the cholesterol and sugar content of this recipe use only egg whites instead of whole egg and substitute sugar with natural or artificial sweetener.