Chicken Stuffed Mozzarella Cooking Recipe
Chicken Mozzarella Ingredients
6 chicken breasts
5 ounce frozen spinach, thawed, rinsed and well drained
¼ cup onions or shallots, chopped finely
¼ cup bread crumbs, seasoned
¾ cup smoked mozzarella cheese
¼ cup parmesan cheese
3 tablespoon walnuts or pine nuts, toasted
2 ¼ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided into 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place one chicken breast half on a plastic wrap. Top the chicken half with another plastic wrap. Pound chicken lightly with the help of a meal mallet (flat side) to get a thick rectangular (about 1/8 inch in size). Remove the plastic wrap. Repeat with all the chicken breast pieces.
- Season the flattened chicken breasts with salt and freshly ground black pepper as per taste.
- For filling: Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic and shallots. Sauté for 2 minutes or until the onions turn tender and transparent. Remove the skillet from heat. Add nuts, spinach and smoked mozzarella, mix well. Combine parmesan cheese with bread crumbs in another shallow bowl.
- Spread about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the prepared filling over each flattened chicken breast. Roll the chicken. Before rolling fold the sides and bottom to give the rolls a clean look. Secure all the rolled chicken with toothpicks.
- Lightly brush each chicken roll with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Coat the brushed rolls with the prepared bread crumb mixture.
- Place rolls in a shallow baking pan, seam sides down and bake them in a 400 degree Fahrenheit oven uncovered for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink. An instant read thermometer should read 170 degree Fahrenheit when inserted in the roll. Serve hot after removing the toothpicks. This recipe makes 6 servings.
- Chicken with mozzarella is a great recipe for persons suffering from diabetes. This recipe provides about 274 calories and 11 gm total fat (3 gm saturated fat and 77 mg cholesterol) per serving.
- This recipe can be considered low carbohydrate, high protein recipe as it provides only about 6 gm carbohydrates and almost 35 gm proteins per serving.
- Each serving of chicken with mozzarella provides about 368 mg sodium per serving. If you are recommend a low sodium diet and would like to include this recipe in your meals then it is advisable to balance your consumption of other sodium rich foods. Also to decrease the total sodium content of this recipe skip seasoning with salt in step 2, instead use fresh lemon juice.