Cooking Sourdough With Sourdough Recipes
Chicken Sourdough Ingredients
6 small chicken legs, quarters
½ cup chicken broth, reduced sodium
6 cups crusty sourdough bread cut into one inch cubes
1 cup carrot, chopped finely
1 1/3 cup tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup leeks, thinly sliced or red onions, chopped
¼ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine carrots, tomatoes and bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Combine chicken broth, freshly ground black pepper and dried thyme in another small bowl.
- Drizzle bread cube and vegetable mixture over chicken broth mixture and lightly toss to mix well. The stuffing should not be moistened completely.
- Place chicken in a medium size slow cooker (about 4 to 5 quart cooker). Add chopped onions or sliced leeks. Pack the stuffing lightly on the top of the leeks and chicken. Cover the cooker and cook on high heat setting for 3 to 3 ½ hours or on low heat setting for 6 to 6 ½ hours. Serve. This recipe makes 6 servings.
- Chicken with sourdough stuffing is a great option for those suffering from diabetes. The offers about 270 calories and 6 gm total fat (1 gm saturated fat and 104 mg cholesterol) per serving.
- Chicken with sourdough stuffing can be considered a low carbohydrate, high protein recipe as it provides about 22 gm carbohydrates and 30 gm proteins per serving.
- This recipe contains wheat or gluten, so if you have celiac spur or gluten allergy then include this recipe in your diet with a word of caution.
- Chicken with sourdough stuffing can be considered a high sodium recipe as it provides about 379 mg sodium per serving. If you have been advised a sodium restricted diet and would like to add in this recipe in your meals then it’s advisable to balance your intake of other sodium rich foods as required. Many cuts of chicken are loaded with sodium or sodium water or sodium phosphate, so make sure to select the poultry cuts only after reading the food label.
- To reduce the sodium values of any recipe use lemon juice, vinegar and fresh herbs like basil, mint, parsley or sage instead of adding salt.
- Preferably choose the chicken legs without the skin. This wise choice will help to decrease the total fat content, cholesterol content as well as total calories of this recipe. This is because the major part of cholesterol and fat is situated just below the skin of the poultry.