Chicken Roquefort Steaks For Supper
Chicken Roquefort Ingredients
2 medium chicken breasts
1 tablespoon Roquefort cheese, crumbled (you may use any other blue cheese also)
1/8 cup red onions, chopped
1 small pear, cut into half lengthwise, cored and stemmed
¼ cup plain yogurt, fat free or low fat
½ tablespoon chives, snipped
Lemon juice, freshly extracted
Salt to taste
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For Roquefort sauce: Combine fat free plain yogurt, Roquefort cheese, chopped red onions, chives and white pepper in a small bowl. Cover bowl and place it in the refrigerator to chill until it is ready to serve.
- Brush all the cut sides of pear with lemon juice and leave aside. The acid in lemon juice will help prevent browning of the pear.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the seasoned chicken directly on the rack of an uncovered grill over medium coals for charcoal grill. Grill uncovered for about 5 minutes. Turn the side of the chicken and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Place the cut sides of the pears on the grill and grill along with the chicken for about 5 to 10 minutes. Grill the chicken until it turns tender and is no longer pink. An instant read thermometer when inserted in the chicken should register 170 degree Fahrenheit. If you intend to use gas grill then preheat the grill and reduce the heat to medium.
- Place chicken and then pears on the grill rack over the heat, cover and grill as above. Serve chicken with the pear sauce. This recipe makes 2 servings.
- Chicken with Roquefort is a diabetes friendly recipe which provides about 199 calories and 5 gm total fat (2 gm saturated fat and 63 mg cholesterol) per serving.
- This recipe can be considered low carbohydrate, high protein recipe as it provides about 14 gm carbohydrates and 25 gm proteins per serving.
- This recipe provides moderate amounts of sodium per serving that is about 168 mg for each serving. The sodium content of this recipe can be reduced by not seasoning the chicken breasts with salt. Instead use fresh lemon juice along with freshly ground black pepper to season the chicken.
- Preferably use only skinless chicken breasts for this recipe as this will not only help to decrease the total fat and cholesterol values, but would also decrease the total calories of this recipe.