Caramelized Onions Recipe With Cavatelli
Caramelized Onions Ingredients
Balsamic vinegar – one tablespoon
Cavatelli or Pasta – ten ounces
Zucchini – two (use small sized ones and slit them lengthwise into two halves)
Olive oil – one tablespoon
Garlic – four cloves (mince them into small pieces)
Sugar – one teaspoon
Fresh thyme – one tablespoon (use a teaspoon of dried thyme, if fresh ones are not available)
Water – two tablespoon
Fresh parsley – optional (snip them into small pieces)
Onion – two medium (slice them into pieces)
Walnuts or pine nuts – as required (chop them into pieces and toast them)
Method Of Preparation
- Pour some water in a big saucepan.
- Add some salt and oil. When the water starts to boil, stir in the pasta or cavatelli.
- Allow the pasta to cook, till it is tender.
- If the pasta is not stirred regularly while it is being cooked, it will clump together and stick to the sides of the pan.
- Once it is cooked, drain out the excess hot water and pour in a glass of cold water. The pasta should not be submerged in the cold water.
- After about 5 seconds, drain out the cold water, and set the pasta aside. This step is very important as it will stop the pasta from cooking further but will keep it warm.
- Take a large skillet and add some oil.
- Sauté the onions. This step takes around 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle some sugar granules. Cook without the lid, in medium heat. It should take about 5 minutes for the onions to caramelize.
- Stir in the garlic and zucchini slices.
- Add in the thyme, balsamic vinegar and water. Cook till the zucchini is crisp.
- Serve the pasta with the zucchini and thyme.
- Garnish with pecans or walnuts.
- Caramelization of onions refers to the technique of heating them, which results in the browning of the natural inherent sugars. They become brown and result in a pleasant and mellow flavor.
- The total preparation time for this dish is about half an hour. It is a vegetarian recipe that is diabetes friendly.
- Caramelized onions and cavatelli provides 383 calories per serving.
- Caramelized onions and cavatelli provides 13 grams of protein and three grams of dietary fiber per serving. The cavatelli provides six percent of the daily value of vitamin C.
- It is a low sodium preparation, which contributes to 77 mg of sodium and 63 grams of carbohydrates.