Calorie Curtailed Recipe With Potatoes
Potato Salad Ingredients
Tofu – twelve ounce packet (use the soft silken style for this preparation). Tofu is bean curd.
Garlic – one clove (minced into small pieces)
Red or Yukon gold potatoes – three pounds
Mustard – one tablespoon
Whole milk or pickle juice – as required
Hard cooked egg – three (peel and chop them into small pieces)
Pepper, black – according to taste
Scallion – half cup (green onion) cut them into thin slices
Dill pickle – half cup (chop them)
Lemon juice – three tablespoons
Olive oil – two tablespoons
Salt – one teaspoon
Bell pepper (red) – one (chop into small pieces)
Celery – one cup, chopped into pieces.
Method Of Preparation
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and pour enough water in so that the tops are covered. Place the saucepan in a four quart Dutch oven.
- Add a little salt to the water and cook the potatoes on low heat for 20 to 25 minutes. The potatoes will become soft and tender.
- Allow them to cool. Drain the potatoes and dice them into small cubes.
- Prepare the dressing which comprises of mustard, tofu or bean curd, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Add these ingredients into a food processor.
- Blend the ingredients well, with a small amount of olive oil.
- Put off the blender and scoop out the dressing.
- Take a big salad bowl. Add the cooked potatoes, lemon juice, pickles, celery, green onions, egg and sweet pepper.
- Pour in the dressing over the veggies and toss well. This ensures a uniform distribution of the dressing.
- Garnish with black pepper.
- Refrigerate for about twenty four hours.
- Add a tablespoon of pickle juice or milk, prior to serving.
- The above mentioned ingredients provide ten servings.
- It is a popular recipe, which contains egg and dairy products, in the form of hard cooked egg and whole milk respectively.
- Calorie trimmed potato salad is perfect as a side dish for dinner as it is relatively easy to digest. It is also a very healthy snack and can be had the next day as leftovers.
- Each serving of the salad provides 113 calories.
- Calorie trimmed potato salad is easy to prepare in forty five minutes, though the resting time is four hours.
- The salad provides 4 grams of total fat and a gram of saturated fat. It also provides 46 mg of cholesterol, per serving.
- It contributes 4 grams of protein and 2 grams of dietary fiber.
- The salad provides 286 mg of sodium and 16 grams of carbohydrates.