Carrot Soup With Butternut Squash
Butternut Squash Ingredients
Chicken broth – two cans (use low sodium variety)
Fresh tarragon – optional
Butter or margarine – one tablespoon (you can use two tablespoon of olive oil instead)
Nutmeg powder – one fourth of a teaspoon
Butternut squash – three cups (peel and dice them into small cubes)
Light cream – one fourth of a cup
Leeks – three fourth of a cup (slice them into thin pieces) use onion slices, if leeks are not available.
Soy milk – half cup
Celery stalks – three (dice them)
Fresh sage – two tablespoon (chop them) use two teaspoon of dried sage, if fresh ones are not available.
White pepper powder – one fourth of a teaspoon
Method Of Preparation
- Put the margarine or butter into a saucepan.
- Place the pan on medium heat.
- Stir in the leeks, onions, celery, squash and carrots.
- Cover the pan and cook for about eight minutes. Stir frequently to prevent the vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in the broth and increase the flame.
- Once the broth comes to the boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Reduce the heat and cook the broth on low flame for about 25 minutes or until the vegetables are slightly overcooked.
- Scoop out one third of this mixture and pour it into a plate so that it cools quickly. Once it has cooled, put the mixture into a food processor. Blend the mixture on slow speed for a minute or two and then on high speed for a minute. Ensure that this mixture has a smooth watery texture.
- Add the blended and non-blended broth to your saucepan and bring it to the boil on medium heat.
Season with pepper powder, fresh sage and nutmeg powder.
- Add soy milk and light cream and pour into soup bowls.
- Garnish with tarragon.
- The above mentioned ingredients provide six servings of the soup.
- The preparation time is twenty minutes, whereas the cooking time is fifty minutes.
- Substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian recipe.
- It is a vegetarian preparation, which also fits the diet of diabetic individuals.
- The soup contains dairy products and is not recommended for individuals with high sensitivity levels.
- Each serving of the soup provides 103 calories and the total fat content is four grams.
- The soup is high in its total sodium content – about 447 mg per serving.
- The carbohydrate contribution is 16 grams per serving of the butternut squash soup.