Chopping And Cooking Broccoli Rabe For Salad Recipes
Broccoli Rabe Ingredients
Onion, Sweet – one cup (chop them into small pieces)
Vegetable broth – one cup
Almonds or pine nuts – one fourth of a cup (toast and sliver them prior to use)
Olive oil – four teaspoon
Polenta mix – one cup (It is dried kernels of corn, which are ground into a powder)
Cornstarch – one tablespoon
Red pepper – three and a half ounces (slice in half and deseed fresh peppers) Chop them into small cubes and roast the sweet pepper pieces.
Broccoli rabe – one pound (chop them in a coarse manner) the top portion, about one third of each stalk is used for this preparation. Use three cups of chopped broccoli florets, as an alternative.
Method Of Preparation
- Cook the polenta, according to the directions and keep it warm. You can also cook the polenta with cooked potatoes, nutmeg powder and pepper powder. Mix well, so as to prevent the clumping of the potatoes with the polenta meal. Season with nutmeg powder, salt and fresh pepper powder. Grease a baking tray. Pour the polenta mixture into it. Let it form a one inch layer. Allow to cool.
- Sauté the onion in a skillet, which contains hot oil. Place the skillet on medium heat.
- Cook for five minutes, till the onions are tender.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for thirty seconds.
- Put in the broccoli rabe and cover the skillet. Cook till they are done.
- Broccoli flowerets take slightly longer to cook.
- Add in the roasted red peppers.
- Put some corn starch into a bowl and add water. Mix well and pour into the vegetable mixture. Mix well, so as to prevent uneven thickening of the mixture. Stir while cooking.
- Place the cooked polenta on the serving plate.
- Scoop out the vegetable mixture over the polenta. Garnish with roasted pine nuts or slivered almonds.
- The above mentioned ingredients provide four servings.
- Broccoli rabe over polenta is a vegetarian preparation, which contains nuts.
- It is a diabetes friendly preparation, which makes it ready to use in the diet of diabetics.
- Each serving of the broccoli rabe provides 394 calories.
- The total fat contribution is eleven grams, whereas saturated fat is one gram. The preparation is devoid of cholesterol.
- Broccoli rabe contributes to 12 grams of protein and eleven grams of dietary fiber.
- The preparation also provides 256 mg of sodium and 67 grams of carbohydrates.