Four-Grain White Bread Recipe
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon high gluten flour
2 cups bread flour
1/3 cup quick cooking barley
1/3 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/3 cup cornmeal
1¼ cup warm water
1 pack active dry yeast
1¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit.
- In a shallow baking pan spread the barley and rolled oats. Bake the flours uncovered in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until they are light brown in color, stir occasionally. Remove the pan and let the flours cool. Transfer the barley and oat flour mixture into a blender when it is cool enough. Cover and blend to get a coarse flour-like mixture. Leave aside.
- Stir together the whole wheat flour, gluten flour, 1 cup bread flour and yeast in a large bowl. Add the sugar, oil, salt and warm water to this flour mixture and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Scrap the sides of the bowl constantly and beat the flour on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the oatmeal, cornmeal and the remaining bread flour, keep blending. Turn out the semi hard dough on a lightly floured surface. Kneed with you hands and add the remaining bread flour. Kneed further to get moderately stiff dough that is elastic and smooth. Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a lightly greased bowl. Turn the dough upside down in the bowl to lightly grease the entire surface of the dough. Cover the bowl and let it remain it in a warm place. After about an hour the dough will rise and almost double in size.
- Punch down the dough and turn out on a lightly floured surface. Cover again and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease a loaf pan (8x4x2 inches), set aside. By patting or rolling, shape the dough into the shape of a loaf and place it in the loaf pan. Cover the pan and let it remain in a warm place to rise for about 30 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake the loaf for about 40 minutes or until the top turns golden brown in color. The bread should sound hollow when it is lightly tapped. Immediately remove the bread from the loaf pan and place it on a wire rack in order to cool. Slice before serving. This recipe makes 16 servings.
- Four-grain bread is a healthy, diabetes friendly bread recipe which provides about 118 calories, 4 gm proteins, 2 gm fiber, 2 gm total fat and 21 gm carbohydrates per serving.
- This is a vegetarian bread recipe and contains wheat and gluten.