Beetroot Rice Healthy Recipe
No. of Servings: 2 – 3
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Small beetroot – 1 (peeled and chopped into small cubes)
- Long grain rice – 11/2 cups
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Bay leaf – 1
- Water – 1 ¼ cups
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 2
- Cumin seeds – ¼ teaspoon
- Onion – ½ (small and finely chopped)
- Garlic cloves – 2 (minced)
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon (grated)
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Green chili – 1-2
- Take a thick bottom vessel and place it on a medium flame. Add the oil to the vessel along with the various spices namely cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf)
- Once the spices are well coated with the oil, add in the onions, garlic, green chili and ginger.
- Sauté these ingredients well till the onions are transparent and slightly golden brown in color.
- When this is done, add the turmeric powder and allow them to sauté chopped beetroot and as well for a few minutes.
- Thereafter pour in the coconut milk and water along with the salt. Stir the mixture so that all the ingredients blend together well.
- Wash the rice thoroughly to get rid of any impurities. Add the rice to the earlier mixture and stir them together.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, slightly reduce the heat.
- Cover the vessel and allow the ingredients to cook till the rice is done.
- When ready, the beetroot rice may be served hot along with a garnish of coriander leaves which will give out a wonderful aroma and color to the dish
- Beets are known to be abundant sources of vitamin C, iron, manganese and dietary fiber which are essential nutrients required by the body.
- Beets, on account of their sweet taste are also very good sources of natural sugar
- They are also used as a natural treatment against various ailments such as digestive problems, Alzheimer, depression etc.
- The high content of betanin found in beet is known as an effective tool in preventing or slowing down the growth of cancerous tumor.
- The presence of boron in beet makes this vegetable a strong aphrodisiac as boron aids in the increased production of sex hormones in humans.