Vegetable Beef Soup Recipes For Supper
Beef Soup Ingredients:
¾ pound boneless beef, round steak
1½ can beef broth, around 7 ounce
1 celery stalk, sliced
½ medium carrot, sliced
½ onion, chopped coarsely
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into ¾ inch cubes
½ large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ¾ inch cubes
2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into ¾ inch cubes
½ tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, snipped or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1 teaspoon Worchester sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup water
- Cut the beef streaks into ¾ inch cubes and trim all the visible fat from them. Heat oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat. As the oil turns hot add the meat (half at a time for convenience) and cook until it turns golden brown in color. If you cook meat half at a time then add the first batch in the oven again along with the beef broth and water. Further add celery, carrot, onion, fresh or dried thyme, Worchester sauce, freshly ground black pepper, minced garlic, and bay leaf.
- On medium heat bring the contents to a boil. After a boil reduce heat and cover the container. Simmer for about 60 to 65 minutes or until the meat is tender. Discard the bay leaf and stir in potatoes, sweet potatoes and turnips and return back to boiling. Cover and simmer on low to medium heat for about 15 minutes or till the vegetables and meat is tender. If you are using fresh thyme then stir in at this stage. Serve the soup hot with flat crackers if desired. This recipe makes 4 servings.
- Beef soup with root vegetables is a diabetes friendly recipe and provides about 224 calories, 7 gm fat, 22 gm protein and 19 gm carbohydrate per serving.
- The sodium content of this recipe is about 665 mg per serving. If desired, use low sodium or reduced sodium beef broth along with low fat.
- Remember to trim all the visible fat from the meat. This recipe already provides about 50 mg cholesterol per serving. You may choose to use extra lean meat in this recipe to further reduce the cholesterol and saturated fat content of this recipe.
- The flat crackers that you serve along with the soup should be preferably whole wheat or other whole cereal crackers.