Balsamic Salad With Balsamic Caramelized Onions
Balsamic Onion Recipe Ingredients:
½ pound red onions, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
½ tablespoon olive oil
1/8 cup chicken broth, low sodium or reduced sodium
Black pepper to taste, freshly ground
Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a deep medium sized skillet over medium heat. As the oil gets warm add red onions and sauté. Cover the skillet and let the onions get cooked over low heat for 14 to 15 minutes or till they are tender and light golden brown. Stir occasionally to prevent onions burning at the bottom of the skillet. Uncover the skillet carefully with a pair of tongs and continue to cook onions over medium flame for about 2 to 3 more minutes till they get a nice golden color.
- Add chicken broth carefully along with balsamic vinegar and continue cooking, stirring occasionally. Cover the skillet again and cook over medium heat until all the liquid gets evaporated. Uncover the pan and stir again. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve hot. This recipe makes 4 servings.
- To make this recipe vegetarian replace low sodium chicken broth with low sodium vegetable broth. You may also use dry white wine instead of low sodium chicken broth or low sodium vegetable broth in this recipe.
- Along with low sodium, stick to low fat chicken broth to keep the calorie and fat content of this recipe low.
- This is a very low calorie, diabetes friendly recipe as it provides just about 41 calories and 2 gm fat per serving. Balsamic caramelized onions provide negligible saturated fats and cholesterol, so this recipe can be safe for people on low fat or low cholesterol diets too.
- Balsamic caramelized onions provide only about 5 gm carbohydrates and 75 mg sodium. Thus this recipe can be safely included in gravies of individuals on low sodium diets and low carbohydrate diets.
- The onions in the recipe already provide a mild sweet taste. However if you prefer a prominent sweet taste you may add ½ teaspoon sugar in step two after the liquid is totally evaporated. After adding sugar cook the onions over high flame stirring constantly. As the sugar caramelizes it will leave a nice brown color and sweet caramelized taste to the recipe. However take care not to cook for long period over high flame as if the sugar becomes black in color then it will give a burnt taste to the recipe.