Asparagus Zucchini Frittata Recipe
Asparagus-Zucchini Frittata Ingredients:
2/3 pound fresh asparagus or one 5 oz pack of frozen asparagus
½ small zucchini, cut length wise into ¼ inch wide strips
½ small onion, chopped
¼ yellow pepper, chopped into ¼ inch wide strips
½ tablespoon red, sweet pepper, roasted and drained
1 ½ eggs
¼ cup milk, fat free
½ tablespoon dill, snipped
1/8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit. Take a rectangular baking dish and spray with cooking oil or butter it lightly. Keep it aside.
- Preferably use fresh asparagus. Wash asparagus thoroughly, cut off the woody bases and discard them. You may even scrap off the scales of asparagus if desired. Then cut asparagus into approximately 1 inch long pieces.
- Take a sauce pan and fill it with water (around 1 inch). Bring the water to boil on a medium flame. Add asparagus, onions and sweet yellow pepper strips. Cook further covering the pan until the pepper and asparagus is tender and crisp. Drain water and add roasted red sweet peppers. Stir thoroughly and spread this mixture on the prepared baking dish. Place zucchini slices on the top of asparagus mixture.
- Break eggs in a large bowl and beat them with the help of a rotary beater or simple a wire whisk. Add snipped dill, milk, freshly ground black pepper and salt to the eggs and mix well. Pour this egg mixture over the contents on the baking dish and place the dish in the oven, uncovered. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until done. You can check the egg mixture is adequately cooked by inserting a clean knife in the center of the dish. If it comes out clean then your dish is baked, if not then bake for some more time. After done, remove the dish from the oven and let it stand for 10 minutes before serving. You may garnish with extra dill sprigs before serving if desired. This recipe serves two.
- This is a low calorie recipe that provides around 125 calories per serving.
- Preferably use only low fat milk or fat free milk in this recipe.
- This recipe can be a very good choice for people with diabetes.
To reduce the cholesterol content of the recipe use only egg whites instead of whole eggs. Egg yolk is a rich source of cholesterol and fat which can be avoided by replacing egg yolk with egg white.
Zucchinis belong to the melon and cucumber family and are excellent sources of vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium and folate which are required for the proper functioning of the body. Nutritionists suggest eating zucchinis with the skin on as the skin contains most of the important nutrients. As a result of these nutritious qualities, a large number of zucchini recipes have been introduced in a variety of health diets. A low calorie zucchini recipe would make an ideal diet snack especially for people who want to lose or maintain weight. One of the simple low calorie zucchini recipes is the Asparagus Zucchini Frittata recipe. For preparing this asparagus and zucchini frittata you need the following ingredients;
- 12 ounces of fresh or frozen asparagus
- 1 yellow small sized sweet pepper
- ½ a cup of length wise sliced zucchini
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 ounces of shredded low fat mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup chopped and roasted red peppers
- 8 eggs or 2 cups frozen/refrigerated egg product
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 3 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Salt to taste
Method of preparation for this asparagus frittata recipe is as follows;
- Boil 1 inch water in a saucepan and add long cut pieces of asparagus, zucchini, onions and sweet yellow peppers and boil with a lid on for at least 5 minutes.
- Drain the ingredients and add the roasted sweet red peppers. Spread this mixture in a baking dish which has been coated with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese on top of the mixture.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs, dill, salt, pepper and milk till a smooth mixture is formed. Use egg yolk only in zucchini frittatas. Add the flour and mix well. Pour this mixture over the vegetables in the baking dish and bake for 35 minutes uncovered. Once the dish is baked, sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese and let it stand for 10 minutes. Dill can be used for garnishing.
The zucchinis in this low calorie frittata recipe are an excellent source phosphorus and magnesium which are very essential for maintaining healthy bones. This zucchini frittata recipe contains only 84 calories, 2 grams fat, 7 grams carbohydrates, 10 grams of proteins and 1 gram fiber.