Asian Flank Steak Recipe
No. of Servings: 6 people
Preparation time: 8 hours
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1 flank steak (1 ¼ pound)
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup orange juice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons of honey
3 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons minced green onions
1 ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, pressed
½ teaspoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
- The first step is to marinade which is done by mixing oil, orange juice, soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, minced green onions, grated fresh ginger and pressed garlic in either a heavy duty zip top plastic bag or a shallow dish.
- Cut the steak on an angle that is against the grain of the flank steak and then add the steak to the marinade. This is done to help you chew it better and also let the marinade seep in well.
- Close or seal the cover and allow it to refrigerate for about eight hours as this will help tenderize and flavor the meat. Also, ensure that you keep turning it occasionally so that it marinades well on all sides.
- Make sure that you remove the marinade steak half an hour before cooking it so that it comes down to room temperature as that will help it to get cooked more evenly.
- Heat the grill ahead of time, remove the steak and cook generously on high heat that is about 400 to 500 degrees for seven minutes on each side or until the desired degree of doneness.
- Put the remaining marinade from the plastic bag in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil it at least for a minute or until the mixture is reduced to one-third.
- At the same time, mix cornstarch and water in a bowl until smooth and this mixture to the saucepan and bring this to a boil over medium heat ensuring constant stirring of the mixture.
- Follow this for about a minute, then remove from heat, spoon it over steak and serve hot.
- This recipe is extremely simple to make and along with it tasting delicious is a high source of protein.
- You can also have this flank steak over a salad or with steamed rice and vegetables.
- Before cooking the steak, see to it that all the fat around it is trimmed.