Arroz Blanco – Rice Chicken Tasty Combination
No. of Servings: makes 4 to 5 servings
Preparation time: 20 to 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 to 30 minutes
Arroz Blanco Mexicano Ingredients:
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ¼ or ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1.5 teaspoons of coarse salt
- ½ to 1 cup of chicken mince
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic
- 1.5 cups of rice
Method to prepare Arroz Blanco Mexicano:
- Start by heating the oil on medium to high heat. Then add the finely chopped onion and cook them until they have softened. Peel the 3 or 4 garlic cloves, and crush them with a mortar and pestle. Then add the chicken and chicken stock and allow it to cook. Next stir in the rice and the raisins, and lower the temperature of the heat.
- Cover the vessel and cook over a low to medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Check if the rice is cooked and if the water has been absorbed. Then cook for the last 5 minutes.
- Finally turn off the heat and leave the rice covered for a few minutes.
- Fluff the rice and serve. This rice is so tasty that it will very fast become a staple addition to your diet! The surprise ingredient, which is the garlic, tends to add a lovely subtle flavor, and the oil helps to improve the texture and taste of the rice. It also helps to keep it very well till the next day, as the oil prevents the rice from clumping together and thus drying out.
- The idea for arroz blanco was actually borrowed from the Caribbean, most probably from Cuba or Puerto Rico.
- 1 cup of cupped rice contains approximately 333.47 calories.
- Chicken is also a very healthy addition to the diet. It is one of the best sources of protein. If the chicken is cooked with the skin the calories increase due to the fatty component of the skin.
- Those who are suffering from a high cholesterol problem should avoid adding chicken to the dish. It can be substituted with vegetables like green peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes and even some nuts. Hence those suffering from heart disease problems and cholesterol problems are best advised to adhere to plant based food diets as all meat contains some amount of cholesterol. Fish is a better substitute as it contains omega 3 fatty acids which have a good effect on cholesterol levels and heart disease.