Mango Crisp Recipe With Fresh Apples And Mangoes
Apple Mango Crisp Ingredients
4 Granny Smith apples
2 medium mangoes, peeled, pitted and chopped
¾ cup rolled oats
¾ cup all purpose flour
½ cups toasted wheat germ
¼ cup melted butter
½ cups packed brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup pecans
3 tablespoon lemon juice
Low fat vanilla frozen yogurt or light whipped dessert topping, optional
Crisp Dessert Cooking Method
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit. Coat 2 rectangular baking dishes (3 quart each) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir rolled oats, ½ cup all purpose flour, wheat germ, cinnamon and brown sugar in a medium size bowl. Pour melted butter and mix well. Leave aside.
- Place the cored and chopped apples in a large bowl and sprinkle lemon juice all over them. Toss well to coat. Add the remaining ¼ cup all purpose flour and stir well. Fold in the chopped mangoes.
- Spread the prepared apple mango mixture in the rectangular baking dishes. Over this layer spread the flour and oats mixture evenly. Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- Open the oven and sprinkle pecans all over the crisp. Place the dish again in the oven and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the apples turn tender. Remove and let the dish cool slightly. Serve when the crisp is warm. Top individual servings with frozen yogurt or whipped dessert topping if desired. This recipe makes 16 servings.
- Apple-mango crisp is a vegetarian recipe which provides about 164 calories, 28 gm carbohydrates, 3 gm proteins and 6 gm total fat (2 gm saturated fat and 8 mg cholesterol) per serving.
- You may use brown sugar substitute instead of brown sugar to reduce the total calories of this recipe.
- This little change will also help to reduce the total carbohydrates, especially simple sugars and make this recipe diabetes friendly. However make sure that the sugar substitute is equivalent to only ½ cup brown sugar, no more or less.
- This recipe can be considered a very low sodium recipe as it provides only 5 mg sodium per serving. If you have been advised to follow a low-sodium diet, you can include this recipe in your diet.
- Apple-mango crisp also provides 3 gm fiber per serving. The main source of fiber in this recipe is rolled oats and toasted wheat germ.
- This recipe contains dairy, nuts, wheat or gluten so if you have any allergies, you will have to make the required adjustments to the recipe.