Asthma Home Remedies
Asthma is a respiratory disease that results from the body reacting to one or more allergens. Symptoms for asthma include wheezing, coughing, tightness in the chest and shortness of breath. Try the following home remedies for asthma:
- Mix one tablespoon of water with two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Drink this mixture every night. It has been known to reduce asthma attacks and also relieve an asthma attack.
- Increase your intake of Vitamin B6 and B12. These help to reduce the inflammation in the lungs.
- Vitamin C also helps to decrease inflammation and increases the amount of oxygen too. Citrus fruits are good sources of this vitamin.
- Figs help to drain off the phlegm. Clean them thoroughly and soak about three or four overnight.
- Drink ginger tea mixed with two cloves of garlic twice a day: morning and evening.
- Mix one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water. Add this to a teaspoon of fresh ginger juice. Add honey to taste. This is an excellent expectorant and should be had once in the morning and once in the evening.
- Regular but limited intake of caffeine helps to keep the bronchial airways open.
- Boil 10 cloves of garlic in 30 milliliters of milk. Drink this once a day. It is most helpful when asthma is in the early stages.
- Eucalyptus oil helps to relieve and reduce asthma attacks. Put a few drops on a handkerchief and inhale it. Or put some drops on your pillow before sleeping.
- Try steam therapy. Simply turn on the hot water in the bathroom and keep the door closed. Let the steam build up and breathe in. This will help to clear the airways. A de humidifier will help as well.
- Eat salmon thrice a week. It has been known to prevent asthma attacks.
- Honey is a common home remedy used to treat asthma. Try holding a jug of honey under an asthmatic patient’s nose. The breathing will improve.
- Squeeze one lemon in a glass of water and drink this with water during mealtimes.
- Treat bronchial asthma by swallowing a mixture of half a teaspoon of dry Safflower seeds with a tablespoon of honey. This will reduce the spasms and acts as an expectorant too.
- Adding herbs like Sage and Mullen to your tea have been known to help too.
The above home remedies for asthma can be used along with medication or inhalers to relive asthma.