Home Remedies for Earache
Ear aches are caused by an infection or a build up of bacteria in the middle ear. Anybody can get an earache but it is more common during childhood. Swimming, bathing, allergies, coughs, cold and even cleaning your ears with a cleaning swab can cause an earache.
Here are some home remedies for earache that you can try:-
- Garlic is a natural antibiotic. Crush a bulb of garlic and put it in a jar with some olive oil. Keep for a day or two. Warm this mixture let it cool, then apply with a dropper. Keep it for 20 minutes. Do this at least 3-4 times a day.
- Another good remedy is with hydrogen peroxide. Put two to three drops in the ear, leave in for a few minutes and then wash with warm water. Dry your ears with a soft cloth after this.
- Take a hair dryer and turn it onto the warm setting. Hold the hair dryer a little away from yourself and allow the warm air to blow in. The warm air helps to ease the pain.
- Take fresh peppermint and grind it, squeeze this in a cotton cloth to remove the juice. Use the juice to relieve the earache.
- Warm onion juice and put 2-3 drops into each ear. This is another effective yet simple remedy.
- Increase your intake of vitamin C in your diet. This helps to fight infections.
- Bishop’s weed oil is good too. Take some of this oil and mix it with three times the amount of sesame oil. Warm this mixture and put four drops into the ear.
- Use a heating pad or warm cloth near the affected area. Be sure to put the heating pad on to the warm setting before using it. The heat and warmth helps to relieve the pain.
- Combine equal amounts of freshly grated ginger juice and sesame oil. Put 2-3 drops in the ear and plug the ear with cotton wool. Let it remain in and settle for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Warm olive oil or mineral oil and put a few drops in. The warm oil should be at body temperature – not too hot. The oil helps to ease the pain and acts as a lubricant which helps to get rid off itchy dry skin inside the ear. Do not use mineral oil if you have a ruptured ear drum.
If the above remedies do not help, be sure to contact your doctor as the ear ache could be a sign of a serious infection.