Acute Toothache With Effective Natural Home Remedies
What causes dental pain? Dental pain can be caused by a tooth infection/abscess or when the root of a tooth is infected.
Home remedies to reduce dental pain:
There are a few home remedies, which can reduce the pain.
- Take a wad of dried peppermint leaves and place it around the tooth which is affected. Spit it out after about 15 minutes. Repeat this a few times, to reduce the abscess.
- Real vanilla extract is effective when a toothache becomes really bad. Put a few drops on a cotton ball and press it down against the painful tooth. This will numb the pain.
- Try putting a wet or frozen tea-bag on the painful area to ease a toothache.
- A few pieces of shaved ginger or a clove of garlic, pressed down on the affected tooth, also reduces the pain, because both these have anti-bacterial properties. Chewing garlic also strengthens the teeth.
- A drop of iodine, applied directly on a tooth abscess is quite effective for reducing pain. But don’t keep it for more than a couple of minutes, and don’t swallow it. Brush your teeth immediately afterwards.
- Chewing cloves helps to reduce infection and toothache.
- Chewing onions also kills germs in the mouth and prevents dental pain.
- Asafetida mixed with a few drops of lime juice is also effective for dental pain.
- A simple remedy is to gargle with warm water mixed with a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of black pepper.
- Diet for dental heath: Dental health is determined to a great extent by proper diet.
- The strength of the bones which hold the teeth in place, the health of the gums, and the health of the teeth and its enamel are all affected by our dietary habits.
- Avoid refined foods, and include plenty of raw vegetables and whole cereals in your diet. Refined foods form a sticky mass which accumulate on the surface of the teeth.
- Raw foods on the other hand, provide friction to the gums, thus keeping them clean and removing plaque.
- Reduce intake of sugar since this produces an acid which causes tooth decay.
- Vitamin C helps to maintain the health of your teeth, by preventing tooth decay, dental caries, bleeding gums and loosening of teeth. Include plenty of Vitamin C, especially limes, in your diet.
- Chewing wheat grass is good for healthy teeth because it checks bacterial growth, by drawing out toxins from the gums.