Calcium for Healthy Breast Milk
Breast milk is the best food for a new born baby. There is no better substitute than this in terms of nutrition. The infant can easily digest breast milk. It helps in the development of the brain, muscles and other body parts such as the teeth, hands and legs. Breast milk protects the baby from different kinds of allergy, diarrhea, constipation, food poisoning, and viral infection. Breast feeding is good for mothers as well; it brings the pelvic organs back to shape.
A lactating mother should take care to produce healthy milk to suit the baby’s requirements. A baby gets its required nutrition from the breast milk; therefore, it is very important for the mother to maintain good breast milk production.
Here are some issues that could affect good milk production:
• Unhealthy or poor nutrition
• Consumption of excess amounts of caffeine
• Consumption of alcohol
• Improper rest and stress or tension
How to increase breast milk production
Here are a few tips for healthy milk production for nursing women:
• The very first step to increase your milk supply is to get plenty of rest and release stress. Always try to sleep after breast feeding as it increases the production of milk.
• Always follow nutritious diet and drink plenty of water. You should always maintain a diet that is rich in proteins, fiber, carbohydrates, and calcium. Include fresh vegetables, fruits, and milk in your diet.
Here are a few home remedies to cure the low production of milk:
• Fenugreek Seeds: This helps boost milk production in lactating women. Take a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds along with warm water or milk regularly.
• Alfalfa: The essential vitamins and minerals present in alfalfa considerably increase milk production. It also improves the quality of milk production.
• Anise: This can also increase milk production by treating low breast milk supply. You can mix anise seeds in tea or water.
• Brewer’s Yeast: It helps in the reduction of stress and is a very good source of vitamin B, iron, and protein. Mix 1 tablespoon of brewer’s milk powder in tomato juice and drink it daily to treat low breast milk supply.
• Fennel Seeds: It is an effective herbal galactogogue and promotes the flow of milk in a lactating mother. Take 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds, crush the seeds, and add boiling water over these crushed seeds. Avoid consuming more than one teaspoon as it can be toxic.
• Milk: Calcium is required for breast milk production. You must consume milk and milk products such as yogurt, kefir, and buttermilk. They are important sources of calcium.