Foods That Boost Immune System
Good nutrition and a well-balanced diet can go a long way in nurturing our bodies and giving that extra boost to the immune system. In fact, our body derives the strength to fight off infection from the food that we eat. Research has shown that poor diet can make us more susceptible to illness. A study lists yoghurt, tea, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and beef as the five most important foods to boost the immune system.
Tips To Boost Immune System
Here are some tips to boost your immune system:
- Include lemons in your daily diet to fight off infections. Since it can restore the acid-alkali balance, it is considered the ideal food for boosting the immune system. Add freshly-squeezed lemon juice to water, add a dash of it to tea, use some in salad dressing, and use some to add flavor to your cooking. Lemon, you see, can maintain the body’s optimum pH level to support healthy bacteria.
- How about adding fresh herbs to your food to give your immune system that boost? Grow your own little herb garden as fresh herbs is any day better than their packaged cousins or supplements. Alternatively, use dried herbs to flavor food. The essential oils in the herbs can not only make food tastier, but the medicinal properties can do a world of good for your immune system.
- Include a lot of proteins in your food as proteins can boost the immune system, and build a healthy body and mind. Eat legumes, lentils, eggs, lean meat, and chicken to get your protein needs.
- Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Packed with vitamins and minerals, these are extremely essential to help the immune system fight off those unhealthy bacteria and viruses. Grow your own, or buy far-fresh for a healthy pesticide-free meal. Raw fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamin C that are antioxidants and can protect the immune system and the other cells of the body.
- We don’t need to tell you this, but drink a lot of water. Water can flush out the toxins and help you remain healthy and fit.
- Apart from eating the right foods, you must also get a good night’s sleep. Sleep can balance your hormonal level, keep your weight down, make your healthy, boost your immune system, and help you think clearly.
- And, reduce the amount of coffee you drink as caffeine is said to rob your body of vitamins and minerals. You must also substitute refined sugars with natural sweeteners.