Gout Treatment And Low Purine Diet

By | December 8, 2008

Preventing Gout With Low Uric Acid Diet

You are suffering from gout, a painful condition that is caused by a build up of uric acid in the body, which causes the formation of uric acid crystals in the joints. As a result, the joints become inflamed and painful, and can also suffer permanent damage in very severe cases of gout.

The obvious aim of any diet (and in fact of any gout treatment) is to bring down the levels of uric acid in the body. Uric acid is created as a result of the metabolization of purine, a substance that is created by the body but also obtained from various food sources. Usually, this uric acid is excreted through the urine, but in people with gout, for a variety of reasons a substantial amount of uric acid may remain in the body, causing problems. The simple solution therefore is to cut down your intake of purine rich foods. For the most part, this involves cutting down your intake of meat. This is in any case a healthy diet, as a high intake of meat tends to cause a number of other health problems as well.

How To Get Rid Of Gout With Uric Acid Treatment?

Sea food, which is usually healthy meat and offers a number of health benefits, also tends to be high in purines and therefore needs to be restricted. This applies mainly to clams, oysters, mussels, mackerel, herring, salmon, and sardines. Fish eggs, commonly known as roe, are also high in purine and should be avoided. Most other sea food is safe, as long as you do not overdo it. Poultry is also safe, but again, within reasonable limits. Red meat however should be avoided as far as possible. Beef and mutton, particularly the insides such as the heart and liver, which many people consider to be delicacies, are extremely high in purines and should be completely avoided, except on rare occasions. A number of vegetables, such as cauliflower, green peas, beans, and mushrooms, are also rich in purine, but do not seem to have any effect on uric acid levels in the body.

Alcohol should be avoided, especially beer, although red wine seems to be harmless and may in fact help control uric acid levels. On the other hand, you should avoid most soft drinks – these usually contain high levels of high-fructose corn syrup, which indirectly causes an increase in uric acid. You should drink plenty of water through the day, in order to help your body to flush out uric acid and prevent the formation of crystals and stones.