Treat Thyroid Disease At Home With Proper Care And Healthy Diet
The disease goiter refers to the enlargement of the thyroid which occurs when the thyroid gland is not functioning properly. The thyroid gets so large that it is visible from the neck. There is another form of goiter which is called toxic nodular goiter. It is caused by the excessive secretion of thyroid hormones by the thyroid gland. Goiter also occurs due to family history. So if any of your family members suffered from goiter, you have a higher risk of being affected by this condition.
There can be many different causes of goiters in people who do not even have thyroid problems. Usually it occurs due to the deficiency of iodine in the diet or because of less production of thyroid hormones by the thyroid gland.
The common symptoms of goiter are the enlargement or swelling of the thyroid gland. Other symptoms include loss of concentration, mood swings, emotionally upset, irritation, and sometimes depression.
Depending on the severity of the case, a person may not require treatment. You may try some of the following home remedies to alleviate the symptoms:
Home Remedies For Treating Goitre
- Ground flax seeds in water and heat it. Apply this on the swollen area. Cover the area with a strip of gauze and bandage it.
- Give barley water to the patient at least once every day.
- Have one teaspoon of the juice of the leaves of cabbage with tea almonds. Consuming this tonic twice a day is very helpful in treating goiter.
- In case of an infant suffering from goiter, mother’s milk is an excellent natural remedy.
- Cool showers every morning and evening are very beneficial in curing thyroid malfunction.
- Eat four to five smaller meals a day instead of eating two to three large meals. This helps in better digestion.
- Make a paste of Watercress and apply on the affected area. This will help reduce the swelling. Alternatively, you can consume two tablespoons of watercress juice diluted in water thrice for six weeks.
- Regular intake of water nut, lotus reed, stem of the lotus tube, and pineapple will help in curing goiter.
- Mash a few fresh sorrel leaves along with a teaspoon of olive oil. Spread this paste on the swollen areas. It will help provide relief to a person suffering from goiter.
- These remedies may offer temporary relief but it is important to visit your doctor for an accurate diagnosis.