Getting started will probably be the toughest part of your diet, which should get easier once you are used to the change. Most people know that they need to go on a diet, but procrastinate, as they are not motivated enough to get started. Given below are a few tips that can help you start your diet:
- Set a realistic weight goal: Do not set yourself up for failure or disappointment, or even worse, health problems. Make sure that you set a goal of how much weight you need to lose overall. Then, follow a diet and an exercise plan, where you lose about 2 pounds a week, not more!
Going on crash diets will reduce your metabolism and make it difficult for your body to shed the extra pounds.
- Avoid temptation, by clearing out the pantry and refrigerator: Get rid of unhealthy and fattening foods, like chocolates, cakes, pie, dishes with full-fat cheese, ice-cream, white breads, refined foods and fattening condiments. This will make sure that you do not binge at home, on any occasion.
- Stock up on wholesome and nutritious ingredients: Substitute all the fattening foods that you cleared out, with healthy alternatives. Every fridge should contain a lot of fresh vegetables, fruits, eggs, tofu, low fat milk, yoghurt and dairy products. You could make sure that you keep a stock of foods like grains, soybean, air-popped popcorn and wholegrain breads, crackers and pasta.
- Watch serving sizes and portions: Check food labels for the nutritional value and fat content for each serving size and plan your portions accordingly.
- Drink a lot of water: Many a times, thirst is mistaken for hunger, which causes a person to snack unnecessarily. Make sure that you drink at least 12 to 15 glasses of water every day to keep the hunger pangs at bay. Moreover, water is very important for digestion and can help lose weight.
- Do not skip breakfast: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as it gives you the energy required to carry out your daily activities. Therefore, your breakfast should be packed with nutrients, vitamins and minerals. There are several low fat and healthy breakfast options, easily available.
- Get moving: Dieting to lose weight is a good idea, mainly because it encourages most people to eat nutritious food, avoiding unhealthy options. However, in order to lose weight and keep it off, it is also important to exercise and workout.
- Make a commitment: Once you get things into motion, it should be easier to follow your diet plan and lose weight at a consistent pace. Eating healthy and exercising should not just be a weight loss tactic. Make it your long-term plan and make changes to your lifestyle accordingly.