Starting before Christmas and till New Year, it is very difficult to stick to a diet and maintain control over what you eat. The holidays play havoc on all resolutions and diet regimens. Multiple parties and laden tables which do not always have healthy options. In such a scenario, it can be tricky to stick to your diet.
There are some simple ways to ensure that you keep as close to your diet as possible. These steps are simple to remember and easy to follow.
- During the holidays, when you get invited to many different parties, always remember to eat and go. It helps your stomach that you do not arrive at the party, hungry or starving. Eat a small meal with foods that are high in fiber.
This will stop you from eating too many rich starters.
- You should also keep in mind that despite the fact that you are on a holiday, you should eat regular meals. Remember to always have breakfast and all major meals at regular times.
This way you will avoid binging at different times with unhealthy food. See the list of essential foods for new year diet plan
- Portion control is a big factor that helps you stick to a New Year diet plan. If you have to eat at these parties, remember to take smaller plates.
You will eat smaller portions of the same food. This will reduce your calorie intake.
- In spite of it being the holidays, make healthy substitutions wherever you can. Pick salads made from beans, whole wheat pasta or lots of greens when you have to take a dish to parties. When you see fresh fruits and vegetables, pick those instead of fried food. Drink lots of water even when you are at parties. Sometimes you might mistake thirst for hunger and eat inappropriate food.
- If you are going to be consuming alcohol, match each drink with a glass of water. That way you cut down on the total alcohol you consume, limit your calories and of course keep your system clean by drinking water.
- You have to also accept that you will put on some weight. Have realistic goals and follow your diet regimen. It is not that terrible if you put on a few pounds. However, do not give up on eating right and healthy.
- Remember to keep exercising through the holidays. Sometimes when people fall off the diet wagon, they tend to give up completely. Accept that you might lose track sometimes but not to let go off all the efforts being made. Stick to your regular exercise and try as hard as you can to stick to your diet plan.
- Keep to your daily habits – like keeping track of what you eat, calories you consume and how much you work out. Do not give it up just because of the holidays.
- Take some time off and relax at home. Eat some simple food and take stock of where you may have indulged. It will be a good time to see where you can change your habits.
- There are many fad diets that are designed to make you lose weight fast, especially in the new year. But these fads are like any fads so you should persevere to eat right as much as possible and exercise. These steps will have a better and long lasting result.
- As soon as you can, cut back on eating outside. Start making an effort to eat at home. Slowly your eating habits will get on track and you will be able to see the effects of such corrective measures on your weight.